The system restore is a very useful feature of Microsoft Windows. If you don’t know how to use this feature in Windows 10 conveniently, go through this article.
What is System Restore?
A system restore is a feature that allows users to revert their system to the previous condition. To do it, users must have a restore point. This feature is very useful when your computer starts to perform worse or face any problem. Performing a system restore can bring back the previous condition when PC ran well. But, How to do it? You will know about it in the next section.
Tips to Use System Restore on Windows 10
Using this feature is very easy. It includes creating and restoring. Now, You will know in details.
How to Enable System Restore
Before creating system restore, you will need to be sure that this feature is enabled on your PC. By, Default, It should be. But, sometimes, you or any software may disable it. By the way, to check it, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open the Start Menu, type “system restore” and you will see “Create a restore point.” Just click on it. It will open the system properties window and lead you to the system protection tab automatically.
- Now, You will see the list of disk drives. If you see the protection status is off for local disk C, it means the system restore feature is not enabled.
- To enable it, just select the drive and click on configure.
- Then, Check “Turn on system protection” and set the maximum disk space usage by it by sliding the switch under the disk space section.
- Now, Click on Apply and OK.
It will enable the feature.
How to Create System Restore Point
Usually, Windows and other software installed on your PC may create system restore points automatically if it has been enabled. But, Sometimes, You will need to create a restore point manually for many reasons. If you want to do it, follow these instructions.
- Like before, Open the system protection tab.
- Now, Click on Create next to this line “Create a system restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on.”
- Then, Give it a name and click on create. Within a few seconds or even less, Windows 10 will create a restore point for you.
By this way, you can create restore points before changing anything on your PC.
How to Revert System to a Previous Restore Point
Now, You will learn the most important thing. Because It is very helpful when Windows doesn’t perform well. To restore Windows 10, follow these instructions.
- First of all, Open the start menu, type rstrui and hit enter. It will open System Restore window.
- In the new window, you will see two options. Recommended restore and choose a different restore point. You can select either option according to your need.
- By the way, If you choose the second option, you will see a list of restore points. But, Wait. There are more. To reveal, you can check the option “Show more restore points.”
- Now, Choose any of the previous restore points you want and click on Next.
- Click on Finish. It will start restoring the system and a restart will occur to finish the process.
How to Delete Restore Points
While system restore is a great and necessary feature, the restore points can sometimes occupy a lot of disk spaces. As a result, you may encounter low disk space issue on your PC. So, You may want to delete the restore points to free up space on your hard disk or SSD. But, Problem is this process is a bit tricky. You can either delete all restore points or delete all except the last one.
Instructions to Delete All Restore Points Except the Last One
- At first, open the start menu, type “cleanmgr” and hit enter.
- Now, Select the drive you want to clean up and click on OK.
- After that, Click on “Cleanup system files” and again select the disk drive.
- Then, Go to the More Options tab.
- Now, Click on “Clean up” under the “System restore and Shadow copies” section.
- This time, Windows will ask you “Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?” Just click on Delete.
- You are done.
Steps to Delete all Restore Points:
Probably, Most users won’t want it. But, If you need to delete all restore points, follow these steps.
- At first, Open System Protection tab on System Properties like before.
- Now, Select the disk drive and click on configure.
- Then, Click on Delete button. It will delete all restore points.
These are the instructions to use system restore effectively on Windows 10. If you have any other cool idea, put it on the comment box. I love to know more from you.