Blue Screen of death is a painful experience for Windows users. This article contains the solution to fix WDF Violation error in Windows 10.
After a recent Windows cumulative update KB4462919, thousands of users have started encountering this BSOD. There might be different reasons. But, One thing is common. A big HP computer or laptop users have been experiencing this problem. But, We have solution to get rid of it.
How to Fix WDF Violation Blue Screen of Death Error
To get rid of this problem, we will follow several methods. Hopefully, Any of them will work for you.
1. Modify HpqKbFiltr.sys (HP Users Only)
The driver HpqKbFiltr.sys is one of the culprit. If you are a HP user, follow these instructions to modify that driver. It will fix WDF violation.
- First of all, You need to go to recovery mode. Normally, After BSOD, Windows should automatically show you a window like the screenshot. From there, Click on advanced options to boot into recovery mode. If not, you can use a bootable Windows media to boot into recovery mode.
- Now, Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- Then, Type the following commands and hit enter.
c: cd Windows cd system32 cd drivers ren HpqKbFiltr.sys HpqKbFiltr.sys.bak
- After that, restart your computer and see magic.
Sometimes, It may say the system cannon find the file specified. In this case, Follow these things,
- In the command prompt, Type regedit and hit enter.
- Then, Now, Select something and click on file and choose Load Hive.
- It will open a new Window. Just, Go to local disk C where you had installed Windows.
- Then, Go to Windows/System32/Drivers folder.
- After that, Type find and rename HpqKbFiltr.sys to HpqKbFiltr.sys.bak. You also can delete that driver if you can’t rename it.
It should rename that .sys driver and fix your problem.
Note: You may ask, why i used that commands. These commands rename that mentioned driver name to HpqKbFiltr.sys.bak. The location of this driver is C:\Windows\system32\drivers. When you open command prompt in recovery mode, by default, it opens in administrator mode. So, You are already in system32 folder. This command “cd drivers” is to navigate to the drivers folder. It will resolve the stop code: WDF VIOLATION as that command disables the problematic driver.
2. Update Drivers
If the WDF Violation comes suddenly and you can access Windows normally, this method is for you. In many cases, Outdated or corrupted drivers causes blue screen errors. So, You should keep all of the drivers up to date. Read: How to Update Drivers.
3. Uninstall Update
As most recent Windows update can cause this type of error, you can uninstall the update. Then, See what happens. You can do it in two ways.
If you can access your PC normally, follow these instructions.
- At first, Go to Settings (Press Win + I).
- Now, Navigate to Update & Security.
- Then, Click on View Update History and then click on Uninstall updates.
- At last, Remove the most recent update from the list.
If you can’t access your PC, you can do it in recovery mode. Here are the instructions.
- At first, Go to recovery mode. Windows should automatically open it after crash.
- Now, Go to Advanced options and find the option “Uninstall Update.”
- Click on it and follow the instructions.
Hopefully, Uninstalling the update will fix wdf violation error.
4. Restore System
In recovery mode, you should find the option to restore system to an earlier date. Just do it. If you can do a successful system restore, it will also solve your problem.
5. Analyze Minidump
In case, The error still exists even after deleting or renaming the HpqKbFiltr.sys file, it is the method for you. At first, You will need to create and analyze small memory dump. It will help to identify the problematic driver which is causing the WDF_VIOLATION error. Once, You have found the problematic driver behind the blue screen of death, try to update or roll back it as shown in method 2. You also can uninstall the driver if necessary. I hope it will fix the problem if any driver is the culprit.
Right now, These four are the most effective solutions to fix WDF violation error in Windows 10. I will be updating this article with all new solutions.