Sometimes, Windows users may see an error message “DISM Failed” while running this tool. In this post, You will get to know how to fix this problem.
The full form of DISM is Deployment Image Servicing and Management. It is a tool that comes as built-in software in every Windows. It allows administrators to prepare windows images before deploying to the users. The DISM tool is available through the command-line or PowerShell. Sometimes, Users may see various DISM failure messages in command prompt or PowerShell while running this tool.
The most common error messages are –
- DISM failed no operation was performed
- DISM failed 0x8000ffff, 0x800f0954, 0x800f081f: The Source File Couldn’t be Found
- Error Code 87, 112, 11, 50, 2, 3, 87,1726, 1393, 1910, etc.
- DISM failed while processing command cleanup-image, add-package
- DISM failed to load the provider, to unload offline registry, to flush file buffers, to set the windows directory, mount the image
- DISM failure when attempting to copy boot files
- Dism.exe failed validating command line, to load wim manager
We run the DISM command to repair corrupted system files. So, It is a very important command to troubleshoot Windows PC problems. There may be multiple DISM error messages appear when DISM failed. But, Solutions are very common.
Fix DISM Failed Errors on Windows 10
To fix these DISM problems, you can follow these methods. Some methods are applicable for specific DISM errors.
1. Disable/Uninstall Antivirus Temporarily
Third-party antivirus programs that you use on your PC is often responsible for various issues. In some cases, These programs can interfere in any critical operation. Then, You may get various error messages. So, When DISM failed error appears on your PC, you should disable any antivirus or security programs. If possible, Uninstall them temporarily. Then, Run the DISM command again. It may fix your problem.
2. Troubleshoot DISM Error by Specifying/Tweaking Install.wim
It is the most common problem users encounter when they run DISM command. If it gives you any messages like “Can’t Find Source File” or anything similar, following these steps will surely fix this error. Also, It may work for any other DISM related problems too.
a: Specify the correct location of Install.wim file
When DISM says it can’t find the source file, you will have to specify the correct location of install.wim file. In this case, You will need a bootable Windows 10 disk/flash drive or at least the Windows 10 ISO file. Then, Follow the instructions bellow.
- At first, Insert the bootable windows media in your PC. If you have ISO file, right click on it and choose Mount. It will create an additional drive containing Windows installation files that you can find in this PC. Just, Remember the drive letter.
- Then, In the command prompt (with admin rights), type the following command and hit enter.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Note: Replace X: with the drive letter of your Windows bootable disk.
Wait for a few minutes to complete the operation. I hope it will fix DISM errors 0x8000ffff, 0x800f0954, 0x800f081f: The Source File Couldn’t be Found.
b: Copy Install.wim
If solution 1 fails, it is the way to go. In fact, It also can fix other DISM failed errors. You will just need to copy the install.wim file from Windows bootable media to the local disk C. To do it, Follow these things.
- At first, Insert the installation disk into your PC or moun the ISO file like before. You will find this file in the sources folder.
- Then, Locate and copy install.wim file and paste it in local disk C.
- Now, Run the DISM command. Make sure to replace the source file location. For example, Use “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:C:\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess” in case, you have copied the file to local disk C.
Hopefully, This time, You will not get any DISM errors.
c. Uncheck Read-Only
Sometimes, User may encounter problems with DISM command just because the install.wim is set to read-only mode. In this case, They must change it to fix the problem. To do it –
- Right-click on the install.wim file and go to properties,
- Then, Uncheck the read-only and save the settings.
- After that, Run the DISM command by specifying the source again.
I hope, This time you will not get any error anymore.
The above three steps will work for almost every DISM failed problems. If you still face problems, you can follow the next methods.
3. Refresh DISM Tool & Clean up System Image Components
Refreshing the DISM tool and also cleaning up the image components can help you to get rid of various problems. Especially, It works great to get rid of DISM error codes like 87, 112, 11, 50, 2, 3, 87, 0x8000ffff, 0x800f0954, 0x800f081f, etc. By the way, Here are the instructions you will have to follow to reset DISM and clean up the components.
- At first, Run the following commands. These will refresh this tool and also clean the system image components.
dism.exe /image:C: /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Now, Wait for a few minutes until it finishes the process.
- Restart your computer and try to run DISM command again. I hope, This time, You won’t get any error.
- If the problem still bugs you, you also can try the following command.
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
Hopefully, This method will fix DISM fails error on your computer. If not, you can try some other additional solutions.
4. Troubleshoot Windows Update
It is another method to get rid of DISM failed errors. At least, It worked for a few numbers of users. So, At first, You can run the windows update troubleshooter to see if it helps. Then, You also can reset the update components manually.
- At first, Press Windows + I key on the keyboard to open the settings.
- Then, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Now, Find the “Windows Update” and click on it.
- Then, Click on “Run the troubleshooter” and follow onscreen instructions.
- If it doesn’t work, you will have to refresh the update components. If you don’t know how to do it, Read: How to Reset Update Components
5. Check the Internet Connection
Unlike SFC, The DISM operation requires an internet connection. So, Connectivity problem can lead your PC to show you various DISM errors. In this case, Proxy may be the major culprit. To disable proxy, you can follow these steps.
- At first, Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy.
- Then, Disable it by unchecking all relevant settings.
You also should make sure that you have a stable internet connection.
Generally, We use DISM command to troubleshoot various problems on Windows. When it itself becomes corrupted and shows you an error, it becomes a major issue. I hope, This article will help you to fix DISM failed errors on your PC.