Sometimes, You may see that the “We Couldn’t Find a Camera/Finger Print Scanner Compatible with Windows Hello Face/Fingerprint” message in Windows 10 sign-in settings. This article explains how to fix this problem.
No doubt Windows hello is an excellent feature. It allows you to use fingerprint, facial recognition, or iris scanner to login into Windows devices. So, You won’t have to type a big password or an annoying pin code every time. But, Sometimes, Something may interfere with your comfort by saying you that the feature is missing on your PC. You may see a small message like “This option is currently unavailable-click to learn more.” But, It should not happen as you already have one of the Windows hello devices. Or you might have used this feature in the past but now you are not being able to use it.
If you are looking for a solution, you are in the right place. In this article, you will get some ideas on how you can fix we couldn’t find a camera/fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello problem.
In past the same problem appeared as “Windows hello is missing” or “Windows hello is not available on this device” or “Face and fingerprint recognition are not available on this device.” But, After that latest Windows 10 update, the error message is changed. Though it is the same error.
There might be several reasons for this type of problems. But, The most common cause is the driver incompatibility. If you can take proper steps, you will be able to solve it easily.
How to Fix We Couldn’t Find a Camera/Fingerprint Scanner Compatible with Windows Hello Face/Fingerprint in Windows 10
To get rid of the problem, you have several ways to follow. Any of them should resolve your problem.
1. Update/Install Drivers
The most common reason behind this problem is corrupted or incompatible drivers. Or maybe the Windows hello driver is not installed on your PC. In this case, You should take steps to update all drivers, especially for the Biometric devices (Fingerprint/iris scanner).
You can use Driver Booster, Driver Easy or Ashampoo Driver Updater to do this task more conveniently. It should work. By the way, Here is a short instruction on how to update the Windows hello driver.
- First of all, Open the start menu, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will open the Windows device manager.
- Now, Find the Biometric devices from the list and expand it.
- After that, Right click on the Windows hello driver such as Fingerprint Sensor and choose “Update Driver.”
- Follow onscreen instructions.
- If you have facial recognition, you should update the imaging devices.
- Then, Restart your PC.
If you are lucky, it should resolve we couldn’t find a camera/fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows hello problem in Windows 10. Otherwise, update all other drivers.
2. Update Windows
Another reason behind can be the last Windows update you have installed. So, You should check for the latest update and install if it is available. It may fix windows hello isn’t available on this device problem. To update Windows 10, follow these steps.
- At first, Press Win + I on the keyboard. It will open the settings.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Then, Click on Check for updates.
- Install any available update and restart your PC.
- Now, Check if it has fixed your problem.
3. Check the Group Policy Setting
To troubleshoot face and fingerprint recognition is not available on this device, you should do another important thing. You should check if it is disabled in group policy setting. To do it, follow these things.
- At first, Open the start menu, type gpedit.msc and hit enter. It will open Windows Group Policy editor.
- Now, Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics.
- Then, Double click on the “Allow the use of biometrics” and check “Enabled.” Do the same thing for “Allow users to log on using biometrics.”
- After that, Save the settings and restart your computer.
Now, You should no longer face Windows hello is not available or similar problem on your Windows 10 computer.
4. Re-Install Windows Hello Devices
If the facial recognition or fingerprint is not available on your computer, it may indicate an error related to the driver file. So, You should re-install them. It may solve your problem. But, Which are the Windows hello devices? Well, The fingerprint scanner, webcam, Microsoft IR Camera Front, Surface Camera Windows Hello etc. are used for Windows hello feature. So, To troubleshoot any related problem, you can re-install them. Here are the instructions to do it.
- At first, Open device manager like method 1.
- Now, Expand Biometric devices, system devices, imaging devices etc. to find these drivers.
- Then, Right click on the drivers you want to re-install and choose “Uninstall device.”
- Follow onscreen instructions and restart your PC. It should automatically re-install them. If not, you can use the software I have mentioned in method 1.
5. Run Hardware Troubleshooter
To fix facial recognition or fingerprint is not available problem, you can use a troubleshooter. Sometimes, It may work. You can download the troubleshooter directly from Microsoft by following this link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab
After downloading, run it and follow onscreen instructions. I hope it will help.
6. Tweak BIOS
Sometimes, Above methods may fail because there is something wrong in your BIOS settings. In some computers, there might be some options for fingerprint settings under the security tab in BIOS settings. You should check it and reset everything there to see if it help. For more details, you should see on your manufacturer website.
These are the most effective solutions to fix facial recognition or fingerprint is not available on this device problem. If you are a victim of this problem in Windows 10, hopefully, these tips will help.